Thursday, May 10, 2012

Xweather - Extreme Weather

This one's been in development for a while and I'm really happy to see it published.

Xweather displays recent extreme weather events and lets users see where they were, what they were, and read details about that.  Check out the screen shot I just totally stole off their app store page.


It's pretty.  Buy it you cheap bastards.


Development

"Where did they get that handsome globe?" you probably wouldn't bother asking.  Well, it's WhirlyGlobe obviously.  Duh.

For the most part this is just a stock WhirlyGlobe 1.2 globe.  eLoomn, the developers, paid me to add markers and that crazy animated marker functionality.  Looks pretty good actually, but that's all in 1.2 now.  I quite like how the markers turned out.

On a scale from "corporate sales office location display" to "iPad melting dynamic map application", this one would fall somewhere in the middle.  Pretty easy on my end, good use of WhirlyGlobe, not super complex.  They could take it in the iPad melting direction if they wanted to, but I like how they dialed in their ambitions for this first version.


The Future!

As usual I don't make a dime off this sucker, because that's not how I roll.  They have some cool ideas for the next version and, as always, I charge by the hour so I'd love to see this one take off.  Plus it's just pretty nice and they were really easy to work with.

I could see some WhirlyGlobe 2.0 insanity fitting nicely into this app.  [I suspect 2.0 based apps will pretty much all page the multi-res images]. But for now, it does what it does and it does it well.  Very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment